- This event has passed.
Collaborative and Proactive Solutions: Understanding and Helping Students with Social, Emotional and Behavioural Challenges
December 11, 2017 @ 9:00 am - December 12, 2017 @ 4:00 pm$550
Dr Ross W Greene is the author of the influential books:
The Explosive Child and Lost at School
The Collaborative Proactive Solutions (CPS) model, which Dr Greene empirically supports in his books and teaching, has transformed thinking and practices in countless families, schools, inpatient psychiatry units and residential and juvenile detention facilities throughout the world. It has been associated with dramatic reductions in adult-child conflict, challenging behaviors, disciplinary referrals, detentions, suspensions, seclusion and physical, chemical and mechanical restraints. The model represents a significant departure from discipline-as-usual. It focuses on solving problems rather than on modifying behavior. It emphasizes collaborative rather than unilateral solutions, encourages proactive rather than reactive intervention, de-emphasizes diagnostic categories and provides practical, research-based tools for assessment and intervention.
In this workshop, you will leave with the foundational elements of the model and practical assessment and intervention tools that you can use in diverse settings.
You will learn to:
- Describe how different explanations for and interpretations of challenging behavior in kids can lead to dramatically different approaches to intervention, and why conventional reward and punishment procedures may not be effective for many challenging kids
- Identify and assess the various cognitive skills that are central to adaptively handling life’s social, emotional and behavioral challenges
- Identify and prioritize unsolved problems precipitating challenging behavior
- Describe the three basic mechanisms by which adults handle unsolved problems and unmet expectations in kids (Plans A, B, and C) and what is accomplished by each, and the three steps of Plan B
- Describe how to effectively implement Plan B to solve problems, teach skills and reduce the frequency and intensity of challenging behavior
This training is suitable for everyone.
Facilitator: Ross W Greene PhD