- This event has passed.
Brief Narrative Single Session Therapy
October 25, 2017 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
A brief narrative practice has become very relevant to a therapist’s skill set because of the proliferation of walk-in counselling clinics and the demands of time constrained service delivery. Practice involves collaboration that addresses your client’s concerns by drawing out their own knowledge through the stories they tell. This knowledge can then be developed into real life proposals for action that serve as pathways to preferred lives.
This one day workshop will demonstrate the possibilities of brief narrative conversations and bring renewed enthusiasm to practice. The application of theory is grounded in practical skills that you can put to work the very next day. The workshop will include didactic presentation, group discussion, skills exercise, and thorough video review.
This workshop is well suited to all service providers, beginning and experienced, working with all ages in time constrained contexts.
You will learn to:
- Recognize a structure for brief narrative therapy sessions that brings focus, guidance and directs your attention to necessary micro-skills
- Listen with a ‘brief narrative ear’ to quickly hear how every expression can serve as an entry point to possibility
- Understand Counter Stories: what they’re made of; how to hear them; how to invite their performance
- Use practices for co-crafting various ‘take-home’ documents
- Co-develop culturally and contextually relevant ‘next steps’ to extend the conversation well past the session into everyday living
Facilitator: Scot Cooper RP